These days the term “superfood” seems to be thrown out more times than we can count. It’s hard to keep up with which superfoods are really “super.” However, they offer countless benefits that our bodies need to function at its highest level.
From improving brain function to decreasing inflammation, superfoods can drastically improve your overall well being. With the extensive amount of health benefits they offer, we have a feeling these eight superfoods are here to stay.
1. Avocados – Today, you can get avocados on just about anything — a salad, burger, toast, etc. Just one glance at avocados’ nutritional benefits and you’ll see that it’s popular for good reason. Not only are they loaded with good fats, but they also pack high amounts of potassium, Vitamin K and Vitamin C.
2. Wheatgrass – Another superfood quickly gaining popularity is wheatgrass. This nutrient-dense food comes from the freshly sprouted wheat plant leaves. It offers high amounts of calcium, iron and magnesium. Our suggestion? Add wheatgrass to your smoothies or juice for an extra kickstart to your day.
3. Beets – This low-calorie root vegetable offers an array of minerals and vitamins. Studies have shown that beets can lower blood pressure and may even help with inflammation. Beets are a delicious way to add more flavor (and color) to your plate. Serve them raw or cooked to start reaping beets’ many health benefits.
4. Cauliflower – Cauliflower boasts high levels of fiber, Vitamin C and antioxidants. These antioxidants may even have the potential to stop cancer growth. Season and grill cauliflower for a tasty side dish or take a creative spin on a classic with cauliflower crust pizza.
5. Ginger – Want to mix up your next dish with one of the healthiest spices? Add a little ginger. It boasts medicinal properties that fight against inflammation and infections. It’s also known to treat nausea, muscle soreness and osteoarthritis. Throw ginger into your morning oatmeal, favorite dressing or meat to add depth of flavor and give your meal a nutritional boost.
6. Blueberries – Blueberries are a longstanding superfood. The number of health benefits in these small berries is a bit of a wonder. Known as the perfect “brain food,” blueberries offer disease-fighting antioxidants, phytochemicals and an array of vitamins. Instead of buying sugar-filled yogurts and cereals, add blueberries for extra sweetness and to improve your brain’s function.
7. Cinnamon – Since we’re talking breakfast, another great addition to your morning routine is a dash of cinnamon. Like blueberries, cinnamon contains antioxidants. Simply adding cinnamon to your coffee or cereal can help lower blood pressure, treat nausea and decrease inflammation.
8. Spirulina – Did you know that Spirulina has more protein than red meat? This blue-green algae not only contains high amounts of protein but also has all of the essential fatty acids the body needs. Spirulina is often sold in powdered form at health food stores and can be the perfect addition to your smoothie.
A diet filled with superfoods is a great way to take control of your diet and live your best life possible. Want to know more about how we can help you live a healthier lifestyle? Visit our Nutrition and Wellness page.